By all indications, the Snackadium was born in July 2010 on This is Why You’re Fat, a website for enthusiasts of peptic ulcers and artery blockages. Its initial ingredient configuration was as follows:
- Field – guacamole
- Yard markers – sour cream
- End zones – cheese dip and salsa
- Goal posts – Slim Jim
- Fans – random assortment of Ruffles, tortilla chips, Cheetos and Doritos
- Players – Vienna sausages with cheese helmets
- Stadium walls – Rice Krispie treats
- Retaining walls (separating fans from field) – hot dogs with bacon
And it came out looking like this.
More recently, the Snackadium enjoyed a brief moment of fame during a 30-second TV commercial for Microsoft Bing, launched in October 2010 in tandem with Bing’s sponsorship announcement of the Bing National Tailgating Championship (press release). About 15 seconds through the commercial below, you can see the mainstream media’s first unveiling of the Snackadium:
Note the retaining wall made of Twinkies. Just like the original whose ingredients are pasted above… we felt that mixing sweet with savory was a bit minor league. So we’re here to show off our own creation, as well as pay homage to all the great Snackadiums created by dedicated fans around the world.
On February 3rd, 2011, regional champions of the Bing contest will compete in the Finals in Dallas-Fort Worth, overseen by the Tailgating Institute of America.